[Site] Website rough edges
davidfg4 Offline
The one and only

Threads: 12
[Site] Website rough edges
On my first visit to the site, I had a number of small annoyances that I detail below. I want to bring them to your attention because you are probably accustomed to the site and may not notice some things. These are just my opinions. If you need any clarification or want to to provide more specific examples, just let me know.

In General:
On a 1024 wide screen the site is thin enough to fit in the screen, but is shifted over and looks bad.
The site (mostly About and the FAQ) currently contains a lot of information about folding in general, but other sites already cover that pretty well. I would rather the site primarily focus on the group and its activities, and just link to external information when necessary. Reduce the clutter and make it as easy as possible for people to get up and running with a client.
index.php:
As a specific example to my previous gripe: On the home page you link to 'About' and 'Support' to get started, but 'About' is a giant wall of text that is not helpful at all for getting started. Make it clear that 'Support' is for installing the client to fold, and 'About' is optional information.
I see the first sentence of the paragraph under "How can I help?" as superfluous, talking about money and volunteering.
Right now IRC is buried at the bottom of the 'Support' page. Perhaps put a link to IRC under the "Join our community!" section on the homepage.
If "Recent News:" is unused you should get rid of it.
All pages, especially support.php:
Due to the color scheme and font sizes, pages are hard to skim. It isn't as easy as it should be to pick out headings and sub-headings. Consider introducing some color, or tweak font weights.
The Table of Contents does not stand out as a table of contents, maybe put it in a box or something.
I'm sure there's some technical reason, but "height:101%;" makes the page always have a scroll bar, and was mildly annoying once I noticed.
2013-05-15, 11:22:53 AM
Website Find
hiigaran Offline
Chief Bogan

Threads: 134
RE: [Site] Website rough edges
Redesigning the non-forum pages has been on my list of things to do for a long time now. I'll see if I can address everything you have here...

Quote:On a 1024 wide screen the site is thin enough to fit in the screen, but is shifted over and looks bad.

Can you provide a screenshot of this, and tell me what browser/operating system you use? I've had a minimum width imposed for a while now, to prevent the overlapping of the logo and the Fillydelphia Radio banner.

I've changed the min-width from 1152 to 1050, so hopefully that helps alleviate some of the shifting, but I doubt it will completely solve the problem. I'll have to continue working on this issue.

Quote:The site (mostly About and the FAQ) currently contains a lot of information about folding in general, but other sites already cover that pretty well. I would rather the site primarily focus on the group and its activities, and just link to external information when necessary. Reduce the clutter and make it as easy as possible for people to get up and running with a client.

I've made partial attempts at linking external sites in the Support page, but I agree that there is way too much text. About, FAQ, and Support are the three most problematic pages that in all honesty, I've been procrastinating on.

EDIT: I've changed the About page a little, but I need enough content on it to keep the vertical length at around that amount. Otherwise, the stuff floating on the right will go past the content area.
EDIT2: I've rearranged the FAQ content, and made some of the questions a little more general. That's about as much as I can do, I think.

Quote:As a specific example to my previous gripe: On the home page you link to 'About' and 'Support' to get started, but 'About' is a giant wall of text that is not helpful at all for getting started. Make it clear that 'Support' is for installing the client to fold, and 'About' is optional information.

I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully the distinction is better now.

Quote:I see the first sentence of the paragraph under "How can I help?" as superfluous, talking about money and volunteering.

This was intentional, as it is supposed to give B@H a purpose, and help show some incentives for volunteering.

Quote:Right now IRC is buried at the bottom of the 'Support' page. Perhaps put a link to IRC under the "Join our community!" section on the homepage.

That I can easily do. Done

Quote:If "Recent News:" is unused you should get rid of it.

The Twitter feed is supposed to provide news, both on site status, B@H related events, and news related to projects we participate in (or at least, the major ones). While my intention is to use it purely as that, sometimes Selly gets a little carried away with other social things (as the account is accessible to both him and I). It's not an overly problematic issue, right?

Quote:Due to the color scheme and font sizes, pages are hard to skim. It isn't as easy as it should be to pick out headings and sub-headings. Consider introducing some color, or tweak font weights.

I'll have to experiment to see what the best combination would be.

Quote:The Table of Contents does not stand out as a table of contents, maybe put it in a box or something.

I remember removing the bullet points from the list style for some reason or other. I could bring those back.

Quote:I'm sure there's some technical reason, but "height:101%;" makes the page always have a scroll bar, and was mildly annoying once I noticed.

That used to have a purpose when the site was in its early days, but now its just a remnant of something I should have removed long ago. Done
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(This post was last modified: 2013-05-23, 08:52:43 AM by hiigaran.)
2013-05-15, 09:32:26 PM
Website Find
davidfg4 Offline
The one and only

Threads: 12
Thanks!

That fixes a lot of rouge edges that I noticed, and that should help users navigate the site and get the information they are looking for.

(For "Recent News" an extension I have(Ghostery) was blocking the twitter feed, so I didn't see that. That's my fault.)
(This post was last modified: 2013-05-19, 06:02:25 AM by davidfg4.)
2013-05-19, 06:01:41 AM
Website Find
hiigaran Offline
Chief Bogan

Just be glad you don't browse the site with a PSP. Holy hell, it's a nightmare, both to type, and to see!
2013-05-19, 08:12:59 AM
Website Find
Sellyme Offline
Administrator

Threads: 23
Or any mobile device, really. We need to get a mobile version of the site set up.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
2013-05-19, 04:23:16 PM
Website Find
hiigaran Offline
Chief Bogan

Yeah, I see a decent number of page views on mobile apps. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do anything for a while, what with limited activity at the moment.
2013-05-19, 11:23:22 PM
Website Find